This is the underlying objective of the DigiMedFor project, which aims to modernize the technological landscape of the Mediterranean forest-wood supply chain. The project simultaneously focuses on enhancing competitiveness and sustainable management by ensuring the traceability of wood resources from the forest to end-users. Harnessing the current digital revolution, stakeholders can effectively manage Mediterranean forests and improve the provision of ecosystem services associated with them.
DigiMedFor aligns with the forest strategy and digital strategy of the European Union, leveraging advanced and innovative digital solutions to enhance the monitoring and management of forest resources throughout the supply chain, from their origin in the forest to processing in the primary wood industry. DigiMedFor integrates various technologies, including geospatial analysis, artificial intelligence (AI), and digital twin modeling technologies with information and communication technology (ICT) to improve the sustainability of wood production and optimize traceability and delivery of ecosystem services.
- DigiMedFor toolkit for forest managers to measure forest variables and attributes
- DigiMedFor digital tool for inventory of Mediterranean forest resources
Grading and traceability of wood resources
- DigiMedFor tool for in-situ wood evaluation and grading
- DigiMedFor Data Traceability Platform System
- DigiMedFor picture-based tracking system
- Guidelines for the digitalization of ecoservices provided by certified forests
Forest management decision support systems
- DigiMedFor Knowledge Platform
- AI-based predictive models
- Process-based mathematical model
- DigiMedFor Virtual Forest Decision Support Systems (VFDSS)
DigiMedFor consortium comprises 21 beneficiaries from European and non-European countries, with diverse expertise covering the entire value chain from research to operations. The consortium includes representatives from the forest industry, forest owners, academic and research institutes and SMEs. The forests belonging to the Mediterranean Model Forest Network serve as case studies for demonstrating and applying the digital and technology solutions developed in the DigiMedFor project. DigiMedFor aims to pave the way for a more competitive, sustainable, and technologically advanced forest-wood supply chain in the Mediterranean region by bringing together key stakeholders and leveraging digital innovations.
FUNDACION CENTRO DE SERVICIOS Y PROMOCION FORESTAL Y DE SU INDUSTRIA DE CASTILLA Y LEON ES
Model Forest Istria